Saturday, September 17, 2011

The Story of Amulet

           The Story of Amulet is the third book in the Five Children. It is the last book of a trilogy set in England 100 years ago. The idea is very unique and has great potential. The third book is a very great ending. I love how Nesbit tied in the first two books into this last one. And she gave the children even more fun (and risky) adventures. In fact, the entire series progresses from small adventures to great daring ones. First they get to make a daily wish, then they ride on a magic carpet to places near and far... and finally, in this last book, they've traveled through time looking for the missing half of an amulet that will give them their hearts' desire.

          Overall, this trilogy enchanted me. I think it'd be so awesome to wish for things from a sand fairy, or ride with a phoenix on a magic carpet, or go back in time to Ancient Egypt. I think this one works better if you know more about history, as it is all time travel to ancient Egypt and Babylonia and that sort of thing. The children spend a lot of time in desert locales of the past (Babylon, Ancient Egypt) and Nesbit does really good job with the descriptions of place.
                  
                 I really love this whole series by E Nesbit. I remember first reading them all: Five Children and It, The Phoenix and the Carpet and this one, when I was pretty young. They all have lots of great and magical adventures that 5 siblings experience. And even though they were written in the early 1900's, I feel like they still hold up well and still seem almost "modern" in a way.
I truly love this series, and I'm glad I read it. And now I can see that Nesbit's writing has influenced a lot of my favorite children's book authors - particularly JK Rowling and Diana Wynne Jones.

"Time is but a mode of thought" is my favorite quote and came from this book.  Recommended!

No comments:

Post a Comment