Saturday, September 17, 2011

The Phoenix and the Carpet


            The Phoenix and the Carpet is the second in a trilogy. The first is The Five Children and It. It tells the adventures of four children (sometimes five) who face the consequences of the many choices they make. In this book they find a magic phoenix and a carpet that take them on adventures when they make a wish.
I decided to continue reading this trilogy of books. I do have to admit I place this second book higher than the first, but it was too much of the same for me. The kids once again have this incredible opportunity to have a magic carpet take them wherever they want, but they bicker so much they never get to go anywhere interesting. Any children like that would've taken advantage of the opportunity, even if they had to say each of them got to decide where to go on a certain day. Again, such great potential with this story, but just left me thinking what a waste of a fantastical opportunity.
This book was written in England in 1904 so some of the language is different than we are used to. This book had some funny parts, but some parts were kind of odd and it dragged a little between adventures. Anyway, this was one of my favorite books as a kid. I enjoy E. Nesbit's writing; she is so clever and entertaining. 

 Recommended for anyone, you know who love fantasy books.  ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment