Friday, September 23, 2011

How to Marry a Marquis

    Another fun book by Julia Quinn, she is a favorite author of mine because her books always enjoyable. I really enjoyed this book. It was different from other historical. I'm not exactly sure why. I guess because the story is about a girl more common than most heroines in historical. 
    Elizabeth Hotchkiss is the head of the family since her father died five years ago. She works as the companion of Agatha, Lady Danbury. To save her family from total devastation, they decided that Elizabeth should marry a wealthy man, titled or not. Then she found a copy of How to Marry a Marquis in Lady Danbury's library and took it home thinking that it could help her snare a wealthy husband. 
     James Sidwell is a former agent of the War Office and was summoned by his aunt, Lady Danbury, to find out who was blackmailing her. They agreed for James to disguise as Lady Danbury's new estate manager while investigating.
     The hero is a marquis in disguise as an estate manager helping his aunt discover who is blackmailing her and the heroine is the aunt's companion. The hero thinks the companion might be the guilty party, until he realizes the only thing she is hiding is an instructional book on how to marry a marquis. That is when he decides to tutor her on catching a husband.
      This is a sequel to To Catch an Heiress.  I always thought James was a great secondary character in To Catch an Heiress, so I was looking forward to this one. I liked this book, but I liked 'To Catch an Heiress' better in this series. The story doesn't consist of too much investigation. Blake and Caroline (from To Catch an Heiress) made an appearance here too. But Elizabeth's reaction at the end, regarding his real identity really pissed me off. Elizabeth managed to really annoy me with her obstinacy and stubbornness, refusing to listen to reason because of false pride. I thought she overreacted given the situation.
       Lady Danbury is in this book as well. She was a wonderful secondary character in the Bridgerton series and I love that series too.

      I really love their UK cover >_<

3 comments:

  1. Every book that you pick it up to show is interesting. Where did you buy it? I usually find the new books at JJ Market, but there are a lot of book for choose and it makes me feel dizzy. It is good that someone read an interesting book and share to another. Thank you for your suggestion and I'll wait for your new books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marry is wonderful. I wish marry but I don't have boyfriend 555

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you will be meet your truelove in someday Pormin, but you must have to control you weight do not let it over :) you are cute girl

    ReplyDelete