Thursday, June 17, 2010

Did I do as the Romans do in Thailand ?

I always ask myself did I do as the Romans do in Thailand because there are still some differences existed between China and Thailand. I wish I can understand the Thai people’s real intension but sometimes I really doubt about my own judgment. For instance, I had to move my apartment from the second floor to the third floor because of a snake entered into my room which was a nightmare for me. I asked some of my Chinese friends came to help me. I almost moved everything to the new room with their help, so they went back and I also have to finish the rest things. When I tried to carry the last piece of the furniture to my new room I made a basin of my neighbor which next to the aisle dropped to the floor and broken into many pieces. My neighbor came out with the sound of the basin broken and saw me was trying to get the small pieces of the broken basin. I said sorry and told him I will buy a new one as a compensation, but he said that’s okay, just a basin, don’t take it as a matter. He asked his son came to pick up the broken basin with me. When we finished clean the floor I gave 3 hundred Baht to his son and asked him to buy a new basin for me because I don’t know where I can buy such a basin to give them, then I left. When I reached my room I saw his father came up with me, he refused to take the money that I gave to his son. What he said made me feel very impressed. He said: “we are neighbors, you don’t have to pay much attention to such a broken basin, Do you know Thai people’s Nam jai, if we accept the money it’s really a kind of shame in our eyes” I told him that I really want to buy a new basin for him but I don’t know where I can get it so I asked his son to buy it for me. Finally, he gave 3 hundred Baht back to me without listen to more explanation and left. I was touched by what he said and what he has done. Thai people always give a good impression. But on the other hand I really what to know that did my neighbor get angry with what I have done? What should I do if I want to make compensation in this situation?

1 comment:

  1. Zhang, if the father came to give your money back that mean he doesn't take it seriously. So you don't have to feel guilty, if when you have a chance to give "Nham-Jai" back to them, just do it or even a smile when you meet them any where. ^_^

    ReplyDelete