Saturday, July 16, 2011

Merit-Making


This is the story of happiness on merit-making. My elder brother and I went to make merit at a temple near my home on Asalha Bucha Day. Today is the Buddhist Lent Day, my elder sister and I went to make merit and poured candles at the temple this morning, too. We also listened to a sermon. The temple was crowded because people intended to make merit on the important Buddhist holidays. People wore beautiful dresses and they brought with them various food and deserts to offer to the monks. There were many children playing in the temple ground. The atmosphere was very warm as people gave smiles and handed sweets to children whose parents were their friends or relatives. This was a very wonderful picture for me.

On Buddhist holidays, I frequently accompany my elder brother to the temple to make merit when I have opportunities. I think merit-making is an age-old tradition of Buddhist disciples throughout the world. In fact, merit-making not only helps prolong Buddhist religion, but also helps eliminate human excessive desire. All Buddhists believe that through merit-making, we can dedicate merit to our dead relatives and friend as well. Importantly, we can take Buddhist principles from absorbing sermons to adapt in use with superior mental and developed state of our minds, and use the Buddhist principles to solve problems.

Today, I am beaming with merit and very happy!!!

What about you? Where do you go to make merit?

1 comment:

  1. Polapat Naphavaranonth said

    I also went to temple on this holiday. I have gone to the temple with my grandmother since I was a child. Now my beloved grandmother just passed away on March this year, but I still go to make the merit every Sunday at Chonprathan Rangsalit temple or Wat Chon in Nonthaburi. The activities such as to listen to the sermon, to meditate, to pray and to offer some food to a monk are held every day. I will be there around 8.30 of every Sunday, in case of you want to join with me.

    ReplyDelete