Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Writer-Based Prose

Dear all,

This article talks about writing style as based prose. The one is “writer-based prose”, the auther, Linda Flower (1979), explain that “[it] is a verbal expression written by a writer to himself and for himself …” I realize that it like expressive writing because I often used this writing as my essay or my work. I sometimes think this writing makes reader don’t understand my essay. In other words, this writing fails to communicate to the reader because I write for myself.

On the contrary, the other is “reader-based prose”, the auther inform that “[it] is deliberate attempt to communicate something to a reader. [It] creates a shared language and shared between writer and reader.” (p.62) I realize “reader-based prose” could help the reader to clear understand.

Moreover, she talks about inner speech, egocentrism and semantic memory. She offers a case study of a transformation. She informs that “[a]s the case study shows, the concept of trying to transform Writer-based prose for a reader is by itself a powerful tool. It helps writers identify the lineaments of a problem many can start to solve once they recognize it as a definable problem.” (p.69)

As for function, structure and style of writer-based prose, the auther hold the theory and viewpoints according to Piaget and Vygotsky.

Finally, I agree with the sentence that “[a]lthough Writer-based prose often fails for readers and tends to preclude further concept formation[;] it may be a useful road into the creative process for some writers.”

Thanks
Best regards,
Jib

No comments:

Post a Comment