Saturday, August 2, 2008

Response to Khun Nit's Questions

1. It's not wrong to put examples in a summary. It's actually good if the examples are at the right places (when they are needed).

2. The paper you chose to summarize is fine--it's just different from other people's papers because it's not a research with data collection, results, and all that. Don't worry.

3. Now about "I'm starting to forget your voice because there are a lot of quotations!": Imagine you're hearing me talking to you right now (while you read what I say on the monitor). That's my voice talking to you. It's not my physical voice, but it's my identity that you're hearing, right? Same thing with your writing. When you write and I read your essay, I hear your voice in that sense. So when you put a lot of quotations in your essay, I hear other people's voice (Khun Tipa's voice in this case) more than your own. This has an effect on the reader because the reader needs to hear you more than anybody else in your writing. Otherwise, you won't stick in the reader's mind--like you don't have an identity. That's not good when you want to be a writer, you know. We'll get to talk about that later in the course.

No comments:

Post a Comment