Monday, August 11, 2008

Cohesion & Coherence

Hi all,

Firstly, I would like to say sorry for myself :) because I am ill. I haven't finished reading all of this article, Williams (1990), yet.

What I have read from this article make me get an idea that the author tries to tell readers know how to make writing flow by using cohesion and coherence -- he suggests the way to write and gives example. Also the author says that "Give your readers a familiar context to help them move from the more familiar to the less familiar, frim the known to the unknown" (p. 48). I like it.

What I know about cohesion and coherence, cohesion is about a hierarchy of words and lexical set that are disregardied by some writers and me too, and coherence is connection between topics to make writing flow, and also changing one topic to another without connection is unacceptable in English rhetoric.

I think cohesion and coherence are interesting for me now. I didn't consider about them when I wrote before. Also Ajan Karnchanoke told me that cohesion and coherence are very important in writing.

Thanks :)

No comments:

Post a Comment