Thursday, June 26, 2008

A cognitivist analysis of writer's block

When I read this article , written by Mike Rose , I had a feeling that the article was not suitable to me . The article made me know that I do not have only the problem in writing but also in reading . It full of difficult vocabularies and academy writing style which is hard to understand . That is my first comment .
Second , from the author’s idea , writing is problem-solving , which I never view like this before . But I think this idea is not always true . Sometimes may be true but sometimes are not . Writing is not problem-solving but thinking is . We cannot write because we cannot find a solution to write . No solution is cause where as writing’s block is symptom . If writing is problem-solving , doing everything is problem-solving also .
Next , the main idea , that I can only get form the article after finished reading , is that rigid rules , inflexible plans , and the stifling of language are the writer’s block . The same level of understanding as I comprehend as I read only the title article . And it is not the new idea or new light for me . As a Buddhist , I known about the middle way , that is do not take seriously or take it easy but do between them . The middle way is appropriate for doing things . It is a way of life . I think it is the same idea that the author try to teach me ( or maybe I try to learn from him ) . This concept was teach by the Buddha , more than 2,500 years ago .
Finally , I feel like I have little gain from this article ( may be cause by my limit capability that cannot extract knowledge from the article ) . It looks like I listen to the author’ comment about his students’ writing .

No comments:

Post a Comment