Saturday, June 23, 2012

Kanom Ko

Good afternoon friends,
Today, I am thinking of “Kanom Ko”(ขนมโค) , a type of dessert originated in the south of Thailand.  
When I was young, every 5 o’clock in the evening, I always asked my mum to give me 5 bath to buy Kanom Ko. Once that money was put in my hands, I walked quickly to the lady who sold Kanom Ko at the public playground.
I am going to tell you how the lady made Kanom Ko at that time.
I saw many things she had provided. Let’s imagine.
-          On the table, there were a big round plate in which she put many balls of kneaded sticky rice flour, a plate of shred coconut, a plate of cooked-peeled mung bean , and a plate of many cubes of brown sugar.
-          Near the table, she had a stove and she put an aluminum pot on it. Then, she poured lots of water in that pot. Later, she lit some charcoal to boil the water.
Then, I asked her “Can I have 5 bath of my favourite, please?  She smiled and I saw how she made it:
-          She flattened a ball of kneaded sticky rice flour in her hands and she put a cube of brown sugar in there and wrapped it round.
-          She repeated the same step until 15 balls were finished.
-          She put these balls into the boiling water.
-          Then, these balls were floating and she used a sieve to drain them.
-          Next, she put them on a small plate, and sprinkled some coconut shred and cooked-peeled mung bean.
-          Last, she shook the plate to let the balls stick well with the above dressing.
I think Kanom Ko is not sold in Bangkok. Just I feel nostalgic about it.
Some people said the taste of Kanom Ko is similar to Kanom Tom, but the size of Kanom Tom is bigger than Kanom Ko
Have a good weekend
You can see the photo at http://www.thaicuisinenetwork.com/search.php?act=displaydetail&id=060

3 comments:

  1. Dear P'Mam
    My God!!!!It's unexpected that you ever eat Ka-nom Ko. Ka-nom Ko is my favorite dessert. Everytime when i back to visit my grandmother at Had-Yai. She always made it for me.Now when i found Ka-nom Ko in anywhere i always bought it and really think of my grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a new knowledge for me. I've never heard this dessert before. thank you very much for your useful information

    ReplyDelete
  3. This dessert is yummy. I used to eat it. :)

    ReplyDelete