Monday, July 11, 2011

It's better to be born lucky than rich/smart


I am not sure if anyone has heard this saying-- but I totally agreed with it, as the story of mine that I am going to tell you are quite relevant to it. I would call this story as my unexpected luck.


Since I was a kid I have always wanted to visit western countries. But I didn’t know how to make that happen. Then one day, my sister’s friend brought me a newspaper advert about art contest as she knew that I liked drawing and painting. The prize was so fascinating--it’s a trip to Disneyland Par
is. I was so excited about that but at the same time I said to myself that I was not going to win this. There were lots of kids out there who were better than me.


Two weeks later I participated in a contest and I was the last one left in a room. Most of the kids were already outside waiting for a result. It took time for me as I had to write a short essay connected with what I drew. I got stuck and it’s worse when the judges came into the room deliberating a piece of art of each one. It was a pressure to be in such environment. I eventually finished and walked out lacking of self-confidence. I told my mum and dad that I w
ould like to go home without waiting for a result.

An hour later at the contest room, I walked in and was so surprised to find my piece or art with the red ribb
on showing on the wall--yes! it was me winning the prize to Disneyland Paris. Who is going to believe that an ordinary 14 year-old girl like me would win something this big. I was so glad and proud of myself and thought how lucky I was. This story that I considered it as luck was not going to happen without a friend of my sister who told me about the contest plus a little bit of the talent that I got.

I am not sure if what I told you links to the quote above, but it was one of my experiences that I would like to share to everyone here. Smartness or richness does not always means that you can get anything you want-- sometimes it depends on your fortune. But how come I never won a lottery…hehe

No comments:

Post a Comment