Saturday, June 14, 2008

A Vehicle for Cognitive Development

The writer said that free writing and nonstop writing are same. But I don't think so. I cannot make my mind to think that they are same. I think that when we do free writing, we can stop writing to think. Free writing -- we just don't have to focus on grammar, spelling, patttern, etc. But we can stop writing. Nonstop writing -- we write something for a time without pausing.

I sometimes agree with nonstop writing in case when I am writing about some personal things such as "I am writing about myself". But if I have a topic to write which I don't have much information about it, how I can do nonstop writing, how I can get ideas from nonstop writing. That means I have to stop to think about it. I cannot write anything else which is outside the topic in order to get some ideas. But free writing can help me.

Free writing helps to eliminate anxiety because what we write are never judged as a product written for other and to liberate the flow of thought and progression of ideas. The appropriate time to focus on coherence and correctness is after we have succeeded in getting our thoughts down on paper.

Apart from the free writing part, to organize our thoughts is an important part too. As the writer said, "Students have encoded and stored an incredible about of information, but they have not organized that information so that it is usable."

I believe that writing can get us ideas, especially free writing which is a vehicle for cognitive development.

"At best it is merely a warm-up exercise allowing students to loosen up their hands before getting into real writing" said the writer. (Could you tell me what the writer's name? Huff & Kline???)

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment