Sunday, September 7, 2008

REWRITE WITH CLARITY

As a writer is the first reader, Murray said that he first clarify his writing by getting distance himself from his ego and try to read as a stranger (p. 218). I agree with him about that but I don't agree with his suggestion of Imagine the Reader, in the topic of "the Attitute of the Editing Writer" (p. 220) -- when I read this part I feel like why I have to pretend to act like others; I don't think that I can do. I think I can get myself distance to be as a reader by using the questions in the topic of "Interview Your Draft" (p. 222-226).


Edit in Many Short Bursts of Time in the topic of "How to Edit a Boring Draft so It Isn't" (p.229) is the way I use when write or rewrite an essay -- reward myself after I finish a task. ^o^ On the other hand, as Alexander Calder said "If you keep working, inspiration comes" (p. 232), I agree with this too although it seems contradict Edit in Many Short Bursts of Time. It depends. (This now makes me think of "blocker" and "non-blocker".)

I have a question about the tool of revision shown in the article such as Cross out, Take out, Put back in, Transpose, Insert, Move, Period and Capital (p. 233). My question is; Are these tools of revision standard??

In the topic "the Student's Reaction to Professional Editing", I feel in the same way with Roger LePage, the student, about repetition. Also I agree with his idea of sound (see also p. 246).

There are many sentences in the article I really like and agree although some of them confuse me a bit, such as

"Writing's job is not to be correct but to communicate meaning (p. 222).",

"A new seeing does not mean a new view but a new way of looking at the familiar (p.232).", etc.

p.s. "The good writing student[s] will listen to what the readers of [their] drafts have to say ..... but will resist when necessary (p. 245)."


Take care

No comments:

Post a Comment